WELCOME TO KDC
KDC is a planning and development consultancy dedicated to providing exceptional service to clients. Based in Newcastle, KDC is made up of a team of enthusiastic and experienced planners.
KDC was established in 2011 with the vision to provide specialist planning and development consultancy advice to the commercial and residential property sectors as well as the extractive industry and infrastructure sectors.
As a company, KDC is highly focused on outcome driven results. KDC specialises in providing strategic, proactive advice that is commercially focused on achieving the best possible result for its clients.
KDC is committed to providing clients with excellence in service and advice on all projects. KDC strives to ensure delivery of services on time and at the required standard. As an independent consultancy, KDC provides reliable advice and service that assists its clients to achieve their goals.
KDC adheres to the Planning Institute of Australia’s (PIA) Code of Conduct with many of our employees accredited members of PIA. KDC employees range from having upwards of 30 years’ experience in the industry to students who are working and studying concurrently.
KDC is on the NSW Government’s Pre-approved Consultant’s Supplier’s Panel to provide consulting services in the fields of Infrastructure Strategy and Planning and Environmental Impact Assessments.
KDC provides key areas of specialisation in the following areas:
STATUTORY PLANNING The preparation of development applications, modifications of development applications, planning feasibility and due diligence reports, complying development certificate (CDC) advice and overall advice on the planning and development approval process.
APPROVALS / DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT This includes overall management of specialist studies / consultants and client representation throughout the planning and approval process.
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT The preparation of planning assessments such as Statement of Environmental Effects, Environmental Impact Statements and Review of Environmental Factors.
STRATEGIC PLANNING The formulation of Master Plans, strategic planning studies and planning proposals (rezoning applications).
SOCIAL PLANNING The preparation of Social Impact Assessments and undertaking of community and stakeholder consultation.
- Ben established KDC in 2011 as a response to a gap in the market for commercially focused planning and development advice that recognises the importance of the project drivers.
- The differentiator that Ben is able to offer all clients is a sound understanding of each individual development stage coupled with a strong understanding of commercial drivers and economic constraints.
- Ben specialises in providing strategic, proactive advice that is result focused, credible and commercial minded.
- Having worked abroad Ben has international consultancy development management experience in commercial and residential development.
- Professionally qualified with both public and private sector experience, Ben has an appreciation of both sides of development policy and assessment, enabling him to deliver quality outcomes for the client in a cost effective and timely manner.
- Ben is a lateral thinker and has significant experience in authority liaison, commercial negotiations, stakeholder engagement and community consultation.
- Appointed by the Minister for Planning to the NSW Planning Assessment Commission in 2015.
- Professionally qualified with degrees in planning and environmental science.
- Registered Planner and Fellow of the Planning Institute of Australia.
- Current Director and Vice President on the National Board of the Planning Institute of Australia.
- Appointed by the Minister for the Environment to the NSW Natural Resource Advisory Council in 2010.
- Over 40 appearances as an Expert Witness in the NSW Land and Environment Court.
- Extensive experience with major projects, including provision of water pipelines, sewerage treatment plants, coal mines and other mineral operations, extractive industries, railways, electricity transmission lines, waste management, airports and major arterial roads.
- Project Director for a wide range of urban development projects including retail, commercial, industrial, residential, recreational and tourism focused projects.
- Member, and for a time Chair, of the Water Delivery Alliance 2007 to 2010.
- Current Chair of the Finance, Audit and Risk Management Committee of the Planning Institute of Australia.
- Over 11 years experience working as a planner within the public and private sector.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in strategic and statutory planning.
- Proven track record in project managing and successfully guiding complex major development applications through the planning approval process.
- His experience as a Council Officer has enabled him to develop an excellent understanding of Government functions and procedures, and an acute appreciation of work surrounding Council Officers. As a result Patrick regularly uses this knowledge and experience to extract the best possible performance out of Council Officers for the benefit of KDC clients.
- Kate has been an employee of KDC since July 2011 in the role of Town Planner/ Social Planner.
- Strategically focussed, proactive and outcome driven, Kate has international consultancy project management experience.
- Excellent interpretation of planning controls, report writing skills and quality assurance review.
- Ability to liaise with clients, regulatory authorities and sub-consultants to achieve the best outcome on each and every project.
- Member of Planning Institute of Australia.
- Town Planning Degree (Hons 1) from the University of New South Wales.
- With recent Local Government experience, Rachel understands and respects the planning approval processes involved in both large and small scale development.
- Consultancy experience preparing Development Applications, S96 Modifications, Review of Environmental Factors, planning advice and due diligence.
- Skilled in managing conditions of consents post approval.
- Has a passion for development and finds excitement when plans become reality.
- Ryan completed his Bachelor of Development Studies (Urban and Regional Development) degree, with Distinction, in 2014. He has gained experience working as a planner in private consultancy.
- Ryan’s experience has been focused on development assessment, the preparation of Statements of Environmental Effects and Social Impact Assessments to support applications to councils.
- Ryan also has project management experience on a variety of projects from small to large scale developments. These roles have required Ryan to assist in the preparation of complex planning reports; development assessments; plans of management and social planning reports.
- Ryan is also undertaking post-graduate studies, a Masters in Urban and Regional Planning.
- Professionally qualified in planning with over 10 years experience in both public and private sector.
- Strategic planning experience including rezonings, planning policy formulation and community consultation.
- Development planning experience across industrial, commercial and residential developments and subdivision.
- Completed a Bachelor of Development Studies (Urban and Regional Development) degree in 2015 at the University of Newcastle and is currently under taking post-graduate studies in Urban and Regional Planning at the University of New England
- Post graduating in 2015, Nicole has been working with KDC as a Graduate Town Planner
- Since working with KDC Nicole has gained experience with the NSW planning system and the VIC planning system in preparing Development Applications, including Statement of Environmental Effects and s96 Modifications as well as Planning Permit Applications, including Planning Reports.
- Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning (2008) with experience in Local Government, State Government and the private sector.
- Over 9 years town planning experience in statutory planning with both New South Wales and Queensland planning frameworks and legislation.
- Extensive experience in delivering positive outcomes for a range of developments which include intensive and extensive agriculture, extractive industries, coastal degradation development, large scale subdivision, significant tourism developments, industrial, commercial, residential, and mixed use developments.
- With an understanding of the intricacies of local governments, Samuel understands the complexities involved with property development and utilises this experience to the advantage of KDC Clients.
- Completed a Bachelor of Environmental Science and Management in 2014.
- After graduating, Kale gained experience in the waste and resource management industry before making the move into Planning in 2016 working as a graduate planner for KDC.
- Since working for KDC, Kale has gained experience on a broad range of projects including Development Applications, Planning Proposals, Designated Development, and State Significant Development.
- Currently undertaking a Bachelor of Development Studies (Urban and Regional Development) at the University of Newcastle. Prior to undertaking this degree at the beginning of 2016, Jake was a serving member of the Queensland Police Force.
- Since beginning work with KDC in January 2017, Jake has gained experience with the NSW planning system and has recently been involved with preparing Development Applications, including Statement of Environmental Effects and coordinating associated sub consultant reports